Summertime by hip hop duo DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince is one of my all-time favorite songs! Its smooth beat and lyrics create a celebratory and relaxing mood. The month of June is one of my favorite months because it’s the beginning of summer! This month is cause for celebration for several other reasons, as well.
1. June is Accented Glory's anniversary month! We turned 5 years old on June 15th. I use this time of year to celebrate and reflect upon how far my brand has come. I also set new goals that'll help expand my reach! You can read more about Accented Glory’s brand story here.
2. I'm a history nerd and I especially LOVE African American History! With that being said, each year I look forward to celebrating Juneteenth. Juneteenth means more to me than any other American holiday because it acknowledges the emancipation of slaves. I rejoice in the strides African Americans have and continue to make in the US and identity how I can use my sphere of influence to assist in overcoming obstacles we still face.
3. In June, my natural hair Facebook group, Accented Glory Naturals (AGN), hosts an event for Loc Appreciation Day (LAD)! LAD was started by YouTuber Qochemist back in 2011. It's an annual occurrence that happens on the 4th Saturday of June. LAD celebrates the diversity of natural hair community and different ways to style natural hair. This year, AGN content curator Lorna Brown will be hosting a Facebook Live convo in our Facebook group relating to locs. Click here to join our natural hair group!
4. Lastly, but certainly not least, June is the love of my life’s birthday month! My husband and I have been married for 24 years and he continues to be my #1 fan. We are both entrepreneurs and fully understand the highs and lows of the small business owner's journey. I look forward to to celebrating a new year with him!
I welcome June and Summer! This month and season brings so many blessings. I’d love to hear what your favorite month/season is and why?
Tonya - Visionary of Accented Glory
P.S. Check out our NEW hair jewelry we have added to Accented Glory's Amazon shop just in time for Loc Appreciation Day! Our hair cuffs can be worn on locs, twists, and braids. Click here to shop!
Accented Glory has kicked off our #BeDifferent campaign with Accented Glory Naturals Facebook Group content curator Lorna! Lorna is a natural hair enthusiast whose specialty is locs and loc care. She's an amazing creative who wrote a #BeDifferent Haiku!
My natural self
Challenges accepted norms.
Those "norms" then conform.
Are you a blogger, vblogger, or content curator? If so, check out Accented Glory's Affiliate Toolbox and see how you can possibly generate some passive income!
February is the month of LOVE! Couples spend a lot of time and money planning Valentine's Day activities for their significant others. This year I plan to switch things up this month and chose to love me first! I'm going to use my time, energy, and resources to show love to myself too. Without loving yourself first, you can't effectively love others. Below are some "Love You First" ideas you can explore this month as well!
1. Escape Room - Have you ever said I want to be in a relationship with someone that's going to stimulate my mind? If that's you, I got you! You can intellectual stimulate your own mind and have fun at the same time via an escape room. Even though it's advertised as a team building activity, it's definitely something you can do solo! Most escape rooms gladly accept a single person to complete a team roster. The themed adventure usually lasts an hour and you team up with others to solve clues to escape a room. Google escape rooms in your area to find one close to you!
2. Nature Adventure - Outdoor activities are great for engaging with nature and getting in tune with oneself. Being outside and having time away from technology can be both refreshing and replenishing. More importantly, you'll also get in some physical exercise! Search your local parks or outdoor centers to see what activities they have scheduled this month. Most offer hiking, obstacle courses, or walking trails. If you're located in area of colder climates, your local parks or recreation centers my offer some indoor activities as well.
3. Reservations for One - Take advantage of the opportunity to spend quality time with yourself and get your eat on! Make reservations for one at your favorite or upscale restaurant. Put on your favorite outfit and treat yourself to a delicious meal. Be sure to order dessert whether before or after the meal; splurge on the calories for this special occasion honoring the value you bring to the table.
4. Love Letter - Write a Love Letter to yourself! It may sound silly, but trust me it'll be fun, healing, and inspiring. Begin the letter explaining why you're writing it. Expound on its importance and impact you desire for it to have. Then share the things you love about yourself and why. Continue with what growth you desire to see in the relationship with yourself. End the letter with affirmations. Remind yourself why you value the relationship you have with yourself.
5. Treat Yourself - I like to call this one "retail therapy" and it's one of my favorites! Treat yourself to something nice. I recommend you go out to a store instead of shopping online. Get out and try on your purchase in person. Be sure to catwalk in the dressing room and wink at yourself in the mirror before you pivot! Remind yourself that you're worth sowing into and rock the piece you purchase like the queen that you are.
6. Adult Coloring Book - Adult coloring is an activity I enjoy doing in my free time. Coloring can be therapeutic, relaxing, and healing. It's a great way to escape the noise of your world and drift into the calm of shapes and colors. This activity is an inexpensive self-care practice you can continue throughout the year!
I want to encourage you to love on you first! I know for some this statement my sound selfish. Trust me, it really is not. It's a necessity for self-preservation. So, go on and show some love to yourself, because can't nobody love you better than you!
Tonya - Visionary of Accented Glory
P.S. This month Accented Glory is hosting "Love On You" Online Pop-Up Shop on Facebook. We are providing an opportunity for you to show some love to YOURSELF! We have ALL our Fall/Winter headbands and a few jewelry designs ON SALE! You have until Sunday, February 18th to catch our sale. Click link below to visit our event Facebook page for more details!
Cierra has been a part of Accented Glory since its launch in June 2013. Outside of being an "Accessory Diva", she's a millennial who's currently navigating adulthood. Click Not One Of Your Little Friends to check out her podcast!